What Conditions Can Fasting Help?
Not every condition can be helped by fasting, but many can. According to Fasting Treatment Center, True North, the following conditions related to dietary excess can be positively impacted by fasting:
Obesity, high blood pressure and resulting cardiovascular disease, diabetes, autoimmune conditions, digestive disorders, neurodegenerative conditions, and some mood disorders.
What are the Health Benefits Backed By Science?
Healthline put out a great article that summarized the health benefits of fasting backed by scientific studies. Here’s a summary of what they found, but read the whole article.
1. Promotes Blood Sugar Control by Reducing Insulin Resistance
2. Promotes Better Health by Fighting Inflammation
3. May Enhance Heart Health by Improving Blood Pressure, Triglycerides and Cholesterol Levels
4. May Boost Brain Function and Prevent Neurodegenerative Disorders
5. Aids Weight Loss by Limiting Calorie Intake and Boosting Metabolism
6. Increases Growth Hormone Secretion, Which Is Vital for Growth, Metabolism, Weight Loss and Muscle Strength
7. Could Delay Aging and Extend Longevity
8. May Aid in Cancer Prevention and Increase the Effectiveness of Chemotherapy
Who Should Not Fast?
This material was taken from Dr. Jason Fung’s excellent book The Complete Guide to Fasting.
Pregnant and breastfeeding women.
Children under age 18 are still growing and should not fast.
Those who are malnourished or underweight should not fast. This also includes those with eating disorders.
Who should be cautious
There are several different categories of people who should be cautious about fasting and should check work with their doctor or a medical coach so as to avoid problems. This includes those with gout, those taking medications, those with diabetes (type 1 or 2) especially if taking medications for diabetes, and those with Gerd (gastroesophageal reflux disease). Anyone in these categories should consult with their doctor and should fast with close supervision.